How to Care for your Yoga or Pilates Mat
While every effort is made during the design and development process to create a long-lasting product, your yoga and Pilates mat won't last forever. A general rule of thumb is to replace your mat every 12-18 months, although this will depend on how much you use it and how you take care of it.
We recommend wiping down your mat with a damp cloth after a hot or vigorous yoga or Pilates session but for those stubborn smells, wash your mat on a gentle cycle (on its own) in cold water. No detergents, essential oils or dryers.
If you travel with your mat, avoid leaving in a hot car or direct sunlight for long periods of time.
- Wipe down with a damp cloth after hot or vigorous yoga or Pilates practice
- Hand wash or gentle cycle with cold water
- Do not use detergents or essential oils as this will damage your mat
- Do not dry clean or iron and stay out of direct sunlight for long periods
Keeping your mat clean and well sanitised will extend its life and keep you feeling fresh and focused during your workout.
How to Break In Your Yoga or Pilates Mat
We say "The more you sweat the better you grip!" for a reason.
If you notice your new mat is slick, it may be due to the non-slip protection coating. The key to breaking in your new mat is to use them as much as possible, as your body heat and sweat will help to "break in" the coating quicker and help you to find stability in those challenging poses.
Breaking in a mat can take up to two months.
How to care for your microfibre workout towel
Follow our care instructions to keep your microfibre Workout Towel ultra-absorbent, soft, and antibacterial for as long as possible.
- Wash your microfibre towel before first use - this will soften it so it's ready to go when you are
- We recommend a delicate cold wash cycle with mild detergents, only
- Do not use fabric softener, bleach or essential oils
- Hang to dry and do not place in the dryer or iron
yogat yoga and Pilates mats and towels are warranted against manufacturer’s defect (from date of purchase) for 6 months. Product covered by the yogat warranty will be replaced at yogat's discretion.
What’s not covered
- Deterioration as a result of misuse
- Over exposure to extreme heat or yoga mats being left in cars
- Damage caused by negligence, misuse or alteration of products
- Damage caused by spraying chemicals or oils on the mat and/or towel
How to Recycle or Upcycle your Workout Mat
There are many ways to recycle your workout mat, including donating, upcycling, recycling, composting, and repurposing. By choosing to recycle your yoga mat, you can reduce waste and give it a new life, while also helping to protect the environment.